+ Antworten
Ergebnis 1 bis 18 von 18
    Gaut
    Gast

Two new D&D players looking for advices and group

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I recently moved to Munich (I speak French and English, she speaks German and English). We both have an interest in video games (RPG in particular) and board games (playing on regular basis games ranging from small ambiance games like Love Letters, Exploding kittens to big and long games like Arcadia Quest, Super Dungeon Explore, Eldrich Horror etc). We are starting to have quite a collection of boardgames. And we are interested in pen & paper tabletop games but are totally new to it (we just bought the D&D books a few days ago) even though we started watching Critical role (with Matthew Mercer) on youtube and found it really nice. So I'd say that even if we're new to D&D, with our "background" we're not total beginners and would catch on rules and mechanics fairly easily.

Basically we're looking for a group of friendly and patients people to help and "teach" us the basics of D&D and obviously play with us. Which would include making a character and going for an adventure all together and have a lot of fun and exciting moments. It would be awsesome if it could be more than once a month but I think we can discuss the specifics later on if we see that we're getting along together. As you would have suspected, it would be to play in English.

Just for information we live less than 5 minutes away from Forstenrieder Allee metro station. And that's pretty much it I think. Feel free to ask me any questions or information that you'd like to know. And we're looking forward to meeting some interesting people to go to an interesting adventure !!

Titan Avatar von availle
    Prosts
    Hi and first of all, welcome!

If you don't find anyone here, check out this Meetup group (which has more English-speaking people): https://www.meetup.com/MucRPG/
    So Feelgood-Zeugs ist doch was für Weicheier.

Gaut
    Gast
    Thank you for the welcoming and the meetup link. Even though from what I quickly saw, only a few people are active as groups and to be honest I have no idea if there's a way to discuss on that website (I will have a closer look).

Anyway, I was hoping for a bit more replies but I'm not despairing! Like I said, we're new to D&D but have a bit of knowledge etc so even if we never played, we know how to roll a d20.

But I guess a new campaign is not started everyday, especially in English, wait and see.

Thanks anyway and I'm still available for questions or other.

Earth Elemental Avatar von Simbert
    Prosts
    Are you focused on D&D, or do you just want to play any roleplaying games in general? I am asking this because a lot of Pen and Paper beginners think that those two terms are basically synonymous, but they are not.

In the latter case, you could try coming to the rollenspieltreffen, if you ask early enough, there will surely be a group that is willing to play in english, we have those rather often, but usually only if someone who speaks only english asks for them.

I would be generally willing to run a oneshot, but i don't really play DnD, and i don't have time to play in another campaign.

Gaut
    Gast
    We did think a bit about what we wanted to play among the different Pen and Paper and we directed ourselves toward D&D. We were hesitating a bit with Pathfinder but went for D&D 5th edition, I guess it would be a bit more popular.

We were thinking about coming at one of the Funtainment evening (the Pen and Paper is every 4th Saturday of the month if I recall) but we don't have clear plans for that yet so I prefer not saying that we'll be at the next one.

Prosts
    The 4th Saturday event that you are talking about isn't held at the funtainment, it is a different thing organized by some people on this forum, and through this forum. The groups are usually set up by threads in this forum: http://doder.org/forumdisplay.php?20-N%E4chstes-Treffen

If you ask there, you might find someone willing to run a DnD game in english for you, though i can obviously not guarantee that. It is a good way to get to know more players who want to play the same stuff that you want. For this months meeting, we are apparently nearly full on groups though.

Gaut
    Gast
    Oh ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. The way the person talked to us about it we thought it was at the shop and organised by them.

Then what is the rollenspieltreffen? Because I'm a bit lost now. I thought by posting something here I would eventually find people and then we kind of discuss to know when we can meet etc. Then there's the 4th Saturday of the month that seems to be something different to the rollenspieltreffen?

Sorry for being confused.

Hobgoblin Avatar von Zadmar
    Prosts
    Some people organize meetups and private games between themselves, but the 4th Saturday of the month is the Rollenspieltreffen.

Prosts
    You can always talk to people here and try to find a group, that works very well rather often.

The rollenspieltreffen is the meeting on the 4th saturday each month. The organisators are cooperating with the people at the funtainment in multiple ways. There are some events that they work together on, some of which are being held at the funtainment, like the free rpg day. The rollenspieltreffen however is not held at the there. It is held at a community center on Pfeuferstraße 1. It is an informal meeting of pen and paper roleplayers to play roleplaying games at. It is usually better to organise things a bit ahead of time, so that there are enough groups and space available for the people attending. This is done via the subforum i linked. It is not required, but advisable to grab a spot by posting in one of those threads there, as it means you get to choose what game you play in. All of these are run by random people who feel like running a game on that day. There are usually about 8 games in two rooms at that location, and it is a great event to get to know pen and paper players in munich.

Gaut
    Gast
    Ok, thanks for the answers.

At some point I think we might have a look at the Rollenspieltreffen and maybe at some of the Funtainment events. But we're still looking for a group to be able to play with I'd say on regular basis.

So the "offer" is still standing. If there are some interested people.

Kobold Avatar von Ningauble
    Prosts
    Did you already look through the older Threads?
    This request could be interesting for you. It's a few month old but perhaps Sandybell didn't find players yet or the group has still use of two players more.

Gaut
    Gast
    Thanks for the idea, indeed we checked the previous threads (but not that far) and didn't see anything for new players.

The "contrains" set up by Sandybell, I don't know if it would be suitable for new players.

But well the fact that they already had a few players and the session 0 two weeks after the post just tell me that it would be a bit too late to join.

I still have hope to meet a group (or a DM to initate us at least), afterall a lot of people are playing D&D.

Titan Avatar von availle
    Prosts
    The problem is, D&D as a system is very old-school. Many players here, myself included, prefer games with mechanics that cater more to the storytelling aspect of RPG instead of the dice/simulationistic approach. What complicates the situation even further is that a lot of people who are inclined to play that kind of system play DSA (the dark eye) instead of D&D, that's a local German thing.

I really suggest going to the Rollenspieltreffen and trying something else, just to see how these things go, and to meet the people. The requirements for groups at the Rollenspieltreffen are that the players do not need to know the rules in advance. So it doesn't matter if you have no time to read up, and none of the groups are fixed (most people play oneshots).
    So Feelgood-Zeugs ist doch was für Weicheier.

Potted Plant
    Prosts
    Hi,
    I am running a Pathfinder group. Currently we are playing the adventure path Hell's Rebels. We used to be a group of four players but for different reasons two players just left the group. If you are interested in joining write me a pm and I can give you more details. And we are playing in english :-)
    Fabian.

Potted Plant
    Prosts
    Hi, thanks for the opportunity.

I did create an account hoping to be able to send a private message but I think the registration has to be validated by an administrator. So I'll answer here for now.

Would it be possible to have a bit more information about the campaign, settings, level on which we'd start?

And would it also be possible to meet before starting to play basically to get to know each other and discuss the game?

Thanks.

Gottläufer des weißen Kaninchens Globaler Moderator Avatar von Jadetiger
    Prosts
    Hi Gaut,

I'm living in Maxhof and Tom is living in Solln. We're both regular boardgamers and RPG veterans. We both tend to play more strange Indie RPGs so a campaign will not work out but we could arrange OneOffs from time to time.
    I'm looking forward to meet you at the Rollenspieltreffen!
    "We can't stop here! This is bat country!" - The Joker
    ------
    jadetiger.de

Potted Plant
    Prosts
    Hi and thanks.

Indeed to begin with we'd like something a bit more "classic", in the range of D&D. So why not a one shot to get some flavours of table top RPG would be nice.

I guess we can discuss that at the Rollenspieltreffen too and see what's possible to do. But obviously I'm not discarding Fabian's opportunity but would like to know more and see if it would be suitable for us (we've heard things about Pathfinder, the combat system etc so we'll make our own opinion).

With a bit of experience in these game I'm not excluding DMing myself but obviously not directly.

Hobgoblin Avatar von Zadmar
    Prosts
    Variety is the spice of life! Many people who play long-term campaigns also like to play one shots, either as a break from their regular game, or to expand their horizons and try something a bit different.

Even if you find a regular D&D group, I would recommend trying out other systems as well. It'll give you valuable insight and experience that you'd never get if you only ever played one system - and you'll be able to apply a lot of that experience to your D&D games in the future.